Catch My Products

Catch My Products
Click on the image to visit Catch My Products.

My humorous thoughts about life.

"My Humorous and Helpful Thoughts About Teaching / Educational Resources for Your Classroom / Music and Random Fun"

Sunday, October 14, 2012

#GBE2: Cobwebs





We've all seen those messy dust threads that form over items forgotten for any length of time. They resemble spider webs because they indeed originated from spiders. Some were once webs, others drag lines, or residue left from a passing arachnid. Their sticky nature causes dust to settle on them and voila–cobwebs.

 I wondered how those sticky strings got their name. They don't come from corn, short horses, or male swans, but rather, the word originated from Middle English with the word "coppe," which means "spider." Someone along the way must have messed up the pronounciation because "coppeweb" became "cobweb."


Do you remember Lily Munster? She had cobwebs all over her house, but hers did not come from spiders. She would dust the furniture by shooting crud out of a vacuum cleaner. That chick makes my house look good!

The show that gave me nightmares for years.
So if cobwebs come from spiders, I have problems with cobweb humor, such as someone having cobwebs in their brain. As a child, I saw an episode of Night Gallery where a man tortured his enemy by placing an "earwig bug" in his ear that ate tunnels through his brain until it finally escaped out the other ear. I remember swatting bugs away from my ears for fear that something might dine on my brain; so if cobwebs form on the unused brain, does that mean spiders crawled inside a head?

Then there's the one about the old married couple who have not had sex in so long that the wife has developed cobwebs between her legs. Once again, bugs crawling where they shouldn't be!

I hate spiders and scream for my husband to kill them when they trespass. Hopefully single women are not as wimpy as me and can get rid of spiders on their own wherever they crawl. 



9 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think fear of spiders is limited to females! My brother would rather I take care of any spiders until I actually get out the lighter and gas cans!! Thanks for sharing, very well done.

Janet Gardner said...

I don't mind spiders much, as long as they are small and keep crawling right on by me!
Hope all is well,
Janet :)

Amy Morgan said...

That Night Galleryg sounds wicked scary! Spiders dno't bother me much, unless they are crawling on me, then all bets are off. Have walked into spider webs before and that creeps me out as well. Watch out as winter comes and they all head inside... (at least that's what seems to happen around here!)

Unknown said...

I don't like spiders either and have no problem stomping them.

Kathy
http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

Theresa Mahoney said...

I can't stand the spiders or any creepy crawly bug, but my children insist that I trap them and throw them outside instead of killing them. Then back in they come. It turns into a vicious cycle!

Jo said...

I have no problem smacking a spider if it dares to enter my house.
I feel the same about any bug or rodent who dares to break my personal space barrier. I don't mess with their webs or nests outside...leave my nest alone!

Ugh...spiders...ugh

laila said...

Am I terrified of spiders? Indeed YES! :)

Anne said...

Don't like anything that crawls, spiders included!

Brenda Stevens said...

I;m writing this while your video is playing..and i am SO cracking up..LOL Hey the spider webs and the old couple not having sex...its REAL..i have seen it in the ER but its not as pretty as a spiders. It stinks and the webs are SMEGMA

LOL ok had to get you back.......hehehe GROSS HUH????????